Thursday, April 20, 2006

Some quick random musings about stuff you don't care about....

You are being warned now, only read this if you actually care about my opinions of the NBA. If not, don't read. Don't complain to me later either, that what this warning is for.


Well, the NBA season wrapped up last night. Playoffs are set. I'll predict a little later. My award picks:

Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul, PG, NO/OKC -If you think anyone else deserves it, you haven't watched basketball all year. And you are a moron.

Most Improved Player: Boris Diaw, UTIL, PHX- Well, I guess technically, this should just go to Steve Nash. No way is this guy that good without him. Went from being a random dude on the Hawks to random dude who got a triple double. Weird. By the way, I refuse to give this award to good players (ala Tony Parker, Lebron James, or someone who is already really really good). The simple fact is that good players are supposed to be good and get better. Giving them an award for doing that doesn't make sense. Giving the award to a guy who goes from being a random guy on the team to a solid contributor is what this award is all about. Congrats Boris!

Coach of the Year: Flip Saunders, Det- I hate saying this because I hate Detroit. But Flip is the man. He got them to score, without losing that D of theirs. Did you think they were going to win 64 games? No you didn't, you liar. The fact that they were on pace for 70 at the All-Star Break is incredible. This is hotly contended, but, I think Flip deserves it (especially considering that he never got any credit in Minny).

Sixth Man of the Year: Alonzo Morning, Mia-The idea behind the award is someone who comes off the bench and changes the game for his team. No one, I mean no one did that more than 'Zo did this year. There was many a time when the Heat played better (because of their D) with Zo in the game than they did with Shaq in the game. Mike Miller probably ends up getting the real award however.

Defensive Player of the Year: Andrei Kirilenko Utah- Have you seen his numbers? Amazing. By the way, this is also a guy who got a triple-double with 10 blocks (UNHEARD OF!). The only player in NBA history to have a 5X5 (think triple double, but with 5 categories and only need 5 of each stat.....again, UNREAL!). Ben Wallace probably gets it on his accolades, but AK47 deserves it.

Most Valuable Player: Kobe Bryant, LAL- I know what you are thinking. I hate Kobe too. But it doesn't matter. He simply was the best player who carried his team more than any other player. Nash can't get it because he couldn't guard me, and an MVP will make a stop in crunch time. Nash won't make that stop. Lebron has improved GREATLY, though there was that time in the beginning of the season when he was very unclutch. I just don't feel like Lebron dominated at all times. Dwayne Wade is who I wanted to pick. But he hasn't played well the past few weeks, and his team can go on without him, just not as well. With out LBJ or Kobe, the Cavs/Lake show isn’t winning 20 games, and would lose to the NY Knicks. So Kobe gets the nod over LBJ in my book. I don't have time to explain all my reasons why, but the Sportsguy convinced me last week. Click on his link on the side there and read his article about it. He's right in every aspect.

PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS:

EAST

Detroit over Milwaukee, 4 games
Washington over Cleveland, 7 games
Indiana over New Jersey, 6 games
Miami over Chicago, 5 games

Detroit over Washington, 4 games
Miami over Indiana, 5 games


Miami over Detroit, 7 games

WEST

San Antonio over Sacramento, 5 games
Dallas over Memphis, 5 games
LA Clippers over Denver, 6 games
Lakers over Suns, 6 games

Dallas over San Antonio, 7 games
Clippers over Lakers, 6 games

Clippers over Dallas, 6 games

NBA Finals

Miami over L.A. Clippers, 6 games
MVP: Dwayne Wade (the way it should be)



3 comments:

jaron said...

I thank you for your thoughts and for posting
Blessings be upon you, your children, and your childrens children to the third and fourth generation.

(I almost typed out a truly Mosaic blessing but decided that a basketball post - although worthy- was not worthy enough. I hope that doesn't offend you.)

Anonymous said...

I'll give you your picks for awards. I think Nash should get it but it is wide open. Dirk should also get a lot of consideration because Lamar Odom is much better than Josh Howard. I'll give you Kobe though. But I'm just not feeling Indy over Jersey. Indy has worse chemistry than Adam Sandler and Adolf Hitler if they co-starred in a comedy about Auschwitz.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I totally agree about Boris... He's a strong, um, point guard?